Acai (pronounced ah-sigh-ee) is found on acai palm trees in South American rain forests. The seed takes up about 80% of the berry, but the flesh and skin pack plenty of vitamins and other nutrients in the remaining 20%. The berries are only about 70 calories a cup. Acai berries are full of antioxidants, fiber, heart healthy fats and calcium.
Because acai berries can spoil within a day, the best ways to buy them are frozen or in powdered form. Look for acai fruit puree in freezer section of some grocery stores or online at some retailers.
To make an acai bowl, mix an acai puree packet with milk and other ingredients like bananas and blueberries until creamy. Top with your favorite fruits, granola or nuts and ENJOY!
I had the good fortune of having an acai bowl for breakfast this morning prepared at a trendy coffee shop. I had it topped with bananas, chia seeds and almond drizzle. WOW DELICIOUS!